Monday, September 17, 2012

Devil's Lake


Just another great day in Wisconsin; air crisp and dry, the warmth of the sun on your face and a vista like this.

Marissa and I met up with Sandy, Beth and Adam for a hike and overnight at Devil's Lake.  It was a lazy day, except for the wedding crashing (peeps getting married, as we positioned ourselves well to listen to the band) and hiked up the bluff. 

Devil’s Lake State Park in central Wisconsin is often called the Midwest’s “Yellowstone” and it’s easy to see why. Wisconsin’s most popular state park features amazing vistas from atop rugged, 500-foot quartzite bluffs overlooking a pristine 360-acre lake. As you can imagine, Devil’s Lake State Park is a popular hiking, biking, rock climbing, a great recreational  paddling destination too.

Devil’s Lake also encompasses a unique section of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail and offers over 29 miles of scenic trail surrounded many more miles of secluded Wisconsin back country. Lots of hidden treasures here in the Midwest.

I did get schooled going up the bluff; Koa (dog) and I took the trail up, the rest of the clan bouldered up the face to Devil's Door; "Granny Panties" ( what I am calling her), 70yr + woman passed me up on the trail like I was selling Wonder bread at a county bake sale.  When we got to the top I was going to giver her a nod of appreciation, but she was already on the run, well being I was coughing up a lung we didn't exchange pleasantries.

The Capt'n


No comments: