Saturday, July 19, 2008

Recap MR340


I can sum up my dismal performance in one word, "unprepared". I learned a lot about my personal demons, how the past can haunt you and if you don't get your mind and body right you're done.
-
I had suffered the debilitating effects of dehydration a few years ago on a trek across Costa Rica during an adventure race (medavac off the mountain) and felt myself heading in that direction again if it were not for a quick thinking support team from Texas. ( my best-est friends in the whole world!!)
-
They had quite a few tube socks stuffed with ice for draping over the necks of their paddler's, which they quickly gave to me to start the cooling process. Ice on the inner thighs and around my neck really helped, though it took me almost 24 hours before I really started feeling like myself again and could hold any real food down. Enough about me...
-
The real story is the great people associated with this event. I had a great week of padd......running support for the Clan from WaterTribe and hanging with the Texans.
-
Running support isn't easy. But supporting River John, White Caps, Wayfarer and Team Texas Tailwind was very rewarding. Not to mention cheering for - Bill, Graham, Russ, Missouri Shooter, all in Sea Winds.
-
There was quite the buzz around all the Sea-Winds that showed, seven in total. West Hansen and the Texas crowd were yelling "It's a cult" At one point I almost had West primed to paddle a Sea Wind next year... trying to pull him from the dark side of the TWS black boats... ( most Sea Winds are white)
-
Check the MR340 message board for more on the event... Lot's of drama from a kid that drank too many RED BULLS before the race and went into shock to the 6 man Belize Boat Mutiny.
-
Ain't life grand - The Capt'n



No comments: