Saturday, April 21, 2012

Emotional stir - part 3


"Arr me pirate shell hunter, what bounty!  But this is Shell Key, we trade only in firewood and ice; what see ye, the Black Pearl, oh the Pearl say ye, can't say, can't say".

It was quite enjoyable as Marissa took time to show me each shell, explaining to me the significance of her find; I drift off with the theme of Gilligan's island in my head.

The Ballad of Gilligan's Island

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale a tale of a fateful trip, that started from this tropic port, aboard this tiny ship. The mate was a mighty sailin' man, the Skipper brave and sure, five passengers set sail that day, for a three hour tour, a three hour tour...."

Late to the show, shell hunters arrive to the key; unbenounced to them the good ones have been picked over by Marissa; long walks great talks are only interrupted by Marissa's fearfulness that someone will enter our camp and steal her shells; forget about the thousands of dollars of gear scattered about.  The significance of those shells hold great value, so I am told.

Our day perfect in every way.  I've actually chilled out enough to do some reading; I break out "Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain

Both Marissa and I are in awe of how we spent the day so care free; we make a decision to paddle out and go for ice.  We head to the mainland, entering through the labyrinth of campsites at Fort Desoto; finding the elusive camp store we are greeted with southern hospitality and ice-cream.  Packing heavy with ice, we return just in time for another breathtaking sunset.

to be continued...

No comments: