Wednesday, November 30, 2011

paddle paddle SAIL!!

Well been kicking around in all my boats this past month; I have a rule that if they don't get out at least once a year they should go. I hate that rule as I ended up selling two Bell canoes I had that I will not be able to replace any time soon.
.
WaterTribe has a lot of action on its website with all the new small boats being built for the up-coming UFC EC and UM events in March. Initially it had me thinking of entering in my 9'10' Pennant pictured above; It's more of a tender, sails high and dry and only max's out at about 4 knots - I rowed around with the GPS to take a look at what things might look like if I had to be on the oars for a couple of days. 1.5 knots ---yikes.
.
I took the Sea Wind out last weekend, blowing stink, cold water, bundled up like a newborn... Out of control sailing with the paddling rudder on and the 1.5 PAS that got to be a tangled mess under the starboard aka and ama - which then released the pin that holds the aka to the main tube. Whew, got it back in with out incident; definitely did not want to tip and go for a swim; amateur hour almost making the evening news. So it just made sense at that point to...
.
Throw my name in the hopper for the EC; finances, kids vacation, work and other particulars come in to play - like getting there in my jeep with 260,000 miles on the ticker. Anyway we will see what happens, till then keep your nose to the wind and your head in the clouds, dream big ~ stay thirsty my friends.

Pennant vs. the Sea Wind (Pennant 0 / Sea Wind 1)
.
The Capt'n

No comments: