Saturday, January 23, 2010

Boo "M" - it's the Bomb

The Krugerized QCC "mystery craft" has arrived at Casa Weber's. Quite the drive home with this enormous box on top of the Jeep.
.
I had given it so much thought over the past few months, on what to get the kids to paddle solo in, something they could handle on her own. Marissa and Emily have paddled the Sea Wind and Cruiser but made reference that it was quite a reach when paddling. Sea Wind width -28.5 " / QCC design 23" wide.
.
Boats currently in the fleet didn't offer the expedition feel we were looking for. Plus I sold a couple which freed up some paddling around money in the boat account!! :-)
.
Almost picked up the Verlen Kruger Kevlar Loon that was for sale down in Burlington Wisconsin. Most of the Sawyer Loons were in fiberglass, this one was made in Kevlar with over site by Verlen I am told. But it didn't solve the beam problem we were facing.
.
So with numerous discussions with Mark and Steve, The Krugerized QCC Canoe was born. It must be noted that this is not a production boat so you wont find it on any websites or forums.
.
Now where to go with it?
.
There was really only one place I could go with the box; straight in the side door through the kitchen and dining room, right into the living room turned workshop.
.

The hull lay-up and modifications were handled by Steve at QCC. The changes were a collaboration of Mark at Kruger Canoes, The kids input over the years and my quest to make it as comfortable as possible for them out on long paddles.
.
With no real ability or space to build a boat, a collaboration seemed the best option.
.
The hull is Kevlar and has an extra layer on the bottom with four additional layers in the bow and stern.
.
I had it build with the seat and seat stays removed. This will enable the paddler to lay down inside the hull if necessary.
.
.
The build has no bulkheads, hence the end pour flotation and and additional material for bonding. I also went with a rudder configuration. The foot pegs have toe steering. The action is smooth and crisp.
.

Here's a shot of the rudder in the up position. I think it's a really nice system. I saw one review which didn't look favorable on it do to it's size and weight. If it blows apart in sea trials I can always put the tried and true Kruger rudder assembly on.

I am considering the Kruger Truss Seat System with the built in portage yolk. I need to get it out on the water to see how it feels before I make too many changes. Presently I'll use a foam seat.

Mark from Kruger will be here Wednesday to make additional recommendations and drink beer. (Mark drinks for free in Wisconsin for all he has done for our breast cancer awareness campaigns and kids paddling camps over the years.) I also want to run by him the possibility of putting in catamaran sleeves. - I think I hear a chuckle...

Invest in your children, you can't go wrong - The Capt'n

No comments: