Monday, September 21, 2009

Take me to the river


-

You can't keep a good dog down. Koa ready for a paddle. At least let me put the boat in the water!
-

Another outstanding weekend for paddling. Friday I left straight from work to get out on the water before the sun set. Drats, I ran out of daylight and ended camping down at Pinewoods State campground. Big mistake.
-

Not sure if it was the green fire wood incident ( which included the bundle rolling off my roof and busting all over the pavement, great entertainment for the on lookers and passer bys), the howling dogs, screaming kids or vehicles passing my campsite that I appreciated more.
-
No, it was the Goose that just about took me out with his right on target fly by crap bomb that hit me in the parking lot. I'm tell'n ya, it was like getting hit with a water balloon at high velocity. 60 minutes into the weekend and I'm changing out clothes.
-

Day 2, early morning...
-
Koa and I paddled the Lake Country area. It would be a short two hour paddle before going home switching out boats and picking up Debbie for an overnight on the Wisconsin River.

-

-

Looking at some lake property... Hmm could probably afford the dwelling the the land and taxes will kill ya.
-


-

One of my favorite campsites locally. Haven't been there in multiple years, just never seemed to work out, but I thought I'd go a shore and check it out.
-



-

This is what I found. I was flabbergasted, disgusted and down right angry. This is a jewel of an island completely run a muck by a bunch of hillbilly redneck fisherman. The icing on the cake was Koa was busy rolling around in their fish kill.
-


-
Switched out boats, grabbed the Kruger Cruiser and Debbie and headed out to the Wisconsin River. Looking for some serenity and found it.
-

-

We put in at Arena and did an up river paddle for an hour or so, cut wood, set camp and caught this wonderful sunset.

-

-

I introduced Debbie to Glacier Sipp'n water (pineapple vodka over ice), Sky lanterns and one of my favorite camp meals, grilled quesadillia.

-

In her altered state, I forced her to listen to my twisted tales of high sea adventures and lore..... You know, the days of ironmen and wooden ships. A pirates life for me sort of stuff.
-

-
Fogged in till about 9:00am, we settled in with steamy mugs of coffee and hot griddle cakes. The fog lifted and we continued up stream for a couple of hours.
-
Found a great lunch spot and watched the day paddlers drift on by. One could sit beside a river all day and study its form and it would not be a wasted day.
-
Koa was in her glory playing a game of fetch and digging in the sand, Ah life on the river...
-
Just take 'n it all in - The Capt'n

No comments: