Sunday, September 13, 2009

Smoke and mirrors...

Yep that's what I saw or I think I saw... A Golden Eagle on the Rock River North of Kanow Park?
-
The key to this sighting was he was only 30 feet above my head as he flew right over my canoe. I did a bit of head scratching looked up a bunch of hawks, osprey, and other birds of prey on line, but it looked just like the picture. Is seeing believing?
-
So I did some checking and low and behold there are Golden Eagles in Wisconsin, but mostly Western Wisconsin.
What has changed over the last couple of years is the usage of this section of the Rock River. Downed trees keep the fishing boats at bay, shallow waters and rock gardens have appeared that I have never experienced on this section of the river. I assume this change is do to the flooding of 2008. We had record river levels and hundreds of displaced families in Jefferson County.
-
I had a drag over and a duck under that proved interesting with the dog and a full boat of gear. (Camped the night before at Sand Hill Crane State Park). Also saw a late hatch of turkeys and geese that proved equally entertaining.
-
This section has a real remote feel to it, high tree lined banks should make this a fall colors paddling must. Stealth camping is possible but expect muddy banks and hostile land owners. I did come across one island that has camp possibilities; mums the word...
-
Shhh; You can almost hear the banjo music. -The Capt'n

No comments: