Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I thought about it


Got this e-mail yesterday...

Brian,

I am looking for a paddling partner to help me set the Rhine River canoe record next April. Would you be interested in being that guy?

http://www.conquertherhine.com/


Call me for more details.


Thanks Mike

.

It's would seem somewhat foolish to turn down fully sponsored all expense paid paddling adventure abroad next year, but in the scheme of things; Racing and records really isn't what I'm looking for.
.
I paddle for the freedom it brings, how it touches the soul as you silently push from shore and the people you meet have all slowed their being down to a reasonable hum where you can hold an enlightened conversation.
.
Challenges, which for me are not races, but an opportunity to look deep within one's self. You get a glimpse of yourself in the best and sometimes worst of times. I'll do more challenges, organized or not. Racing doubtful, but I thought about it.
.
I started paddling when I was a wee lad. Who knows the actual date or year, but my first paddling adventure was with my cousin Dave. An uphill paddle as we headed up the Oconomowoc River. I was about 10 years old Dave about 8; Right after getting a first run addition of Tom Sawyer from my Great Grandmother Lake. Yes her name was Lake.
.
A day trip it was, but the freedom it gave us, a sense of adventure.... and our parents never knew we were gone. Or did they and have the sense to leave canoe and paddle so conveniently by the shore in hopes of our discovery? It's a mystery.
.
I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing. They let mother nature babysit us while they went through their daily routine.
.
Up by six; Home by dark. Meals at home optional - Ah to be a kid again in the Lake Country area. - The Capt'n

2 comments:

Silbs said...

Ah, yes. Yesterday took my grandson for his first boat ride in a fat row boat and a good pfd. When he comes to Milwaukee, I hope to sit him in a kayak and walk him along the shore. Hope that the seed take root.

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

If it does... you have a whole new set of adventures from wateercraft to look forward too. My paddles are crossed!!