Sunday, October 7, 2007

Mad about boats


ULS Barn Sale and Auction
Handful of scows on he auction block. I had to bring Laura with me to keep me in check. The ULS Barn sale and auction is a dangerous place to be. Sailboats went from $125.00 to $1500.00. The Capt'n was in heaven.


There where three sailboards on the auction block. One could use the sailing rig on a canoe if configured correctly. Hmm? Let the auction begin!


Here was an 8' wooden pram. Not sure why the frenzy over this dry rot pram, but it end up going for a couple hundred dollars. The two wooden sunfish (board boats) to the right - went for $100.00 bucks... I figured I was in trouble.... it's gonna cost me.


Pacing ourselves in the pre -auction heat. Temps soared into the 90's. The barley pops kept out hydration in check.



After bidding on three of the sail boards in the auction, I came home with a pretty nice board and two sets of sails. The challenge now will be effectively attaching assembling a system that will work efficiently and with out failure. Both sail are practically brand new. The one shown is Mylar and actually matches the color of my Sea Wind.

Some things I need to factor in: Stow ability - reefing - simplicity. In fact the simpler the better. Equipment failure is not an option at sea while paddle sailing a canoe.

Laura is a trouper - she waited 2 1/2 hours while I perused the boats on the auction block - what a gal! - The Capt'n

1 comment:

Kristen said...

What a steal! What a gal!